Lindenwood University Youth VB Offer!
The Lindenwood University Women's Volleyball season is approaching and the school is offering an opportunity for youth and junior Volleyball teams. We have a special ticket deal for youth teams where tickets are only $2 per person, which includes parents, coaches, and players. In addition, the players would have a chance to meet the team after the match. For more information and details about this opportunity, Click Here!
St. Louis University to Host A Pre-season Volleyball Event!
Saint Louis University is hosting a Free Youth Clinic, Alumni Match and Preseason Kickoff and Fundraiser on Saturday, August 20. The Clinic will start at 11:00 am and be coached by current and former SLU volleyball players. The Alumni Match is at 2:00 pm and will be followed Preseason Kickoff and Fundraiser at 5:30 pm at the International Photography Hall of Fame right across from campus. This year’s fundraiser will include Trivia! Space is limited. Tables are $200 each. RSVP to Assistant Coach Alli Arbogast at email@example.com or 314-977-3171.
Free Youth Clinic – 11:00 am – 1:00 pm (for grades 4-8, Chaifetz Pavilion)
Megan Boken Alumni Match – 2:00 pm (Chaifetz Pavilion, donation $5.00, 12 & under free)
Preseason Kickoff & Fundraiser – 5:30 pm (Int’l Photography HOF, 3415 Olive St.)
You can register kids for the Free Youth Clinic here: SLU Free Youth Clinic
If you would like to assist with the event by donating a silent auction or raffle item please contact Alli. Past items have included tickets to professional sports games, sports memorabilia, gift certificates, salon and spa packages, wine baskets, concert tickets and more.
For more information visit: Megan Boken Alumni Match Set for Aug. 20
Two Pairs of National Champions from the Gateway Region!
Milwaukee, WI (July 24, 2016) - Congratulations to the pairs of Murphy/Williams and Garmon/Williams for earning National Titles in their respective divisions at the USAV Girls Junior Beach National Championships. Mackenzie Murphy and Ally Williams fought through 20 teams over 3 days to earn their National Championship title in the U12 Club Division. Likewise Bria Garmon and Alexis Williams picked their way through a 40 team field in the U14 Club Division to earn their gold medals.
Karen Schmitz Honored by AVCA - Boys Coach of the Year
You don’t have to play in highly competitive leagues to have a strong impact coaching volleyball. At High Performance in St. Louis, Schmitz runs the U8s and U10s programs that teach both skills and the love of the sport. Many of the older boys that go on to play at a higher level in the area have at one point played for Schmitz. “My goal in coaching is for all children to learn something positive about themselves as a person and as an athlete,” she said. “Also for the children to make new friends and find confidence in their talents.”
Karen Davis to be Inducted into the AVCA Hall of Fame
LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 29, 2016) - The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) is proud to announce the 14th annual AVCA Hall of Fame class. Kathleen Brasfield, Karen Davis and Joan Sitterly will all be honored in ceremonies at the 2016 Jostens Coaches Honors Luncheon, held in conjunction with the 2016 AVCA Convention in Columbus, Ohio.
When it comes to impacting the lives of high school girls, Karen Davis has a track record like none other. In 21 seasons at the helm of St. Joseph’s Academy (St. Louis, MO), Davis registered an astounding 611-138 record, eight state championships and four semifinal appearances. Many of her players have gone on to earn All-American honors, college scholarships, and their team GPA never dipped below 3.5. To read the full article: https://www.avca.org/awards/hall-of-fame.html
The AVCA annually recognizes those individuals who have reached the pinnacle of their profession and the sport with the AVCA Hall of Fame. The first AVCA Hall of Fame class, a total of 23 individuals who had earned either the AVCA Founders Award or AVCA Excellence in Education Award, was honored at the 2003 AVCA Convention. These three will make a total of 73 members in the AVCA Hall of Fame.
Summer Playing Opportunities!
- For Junior and Adult players of all levels and ages, Click here for playing leagues and open play around the St. Louis Metro Area.
- For Youth and Junior players looking for summer camp opportunities, Click here!
- For Junior players who have fallen in love with Sand Doubles, and want more doubles tourney opportunities, Click here!
- For Families new to organized volleyball for their son/daughter, you can begin by clicking here to access our parents page, or clicking here for a list of junior clubs in our region.
2 St. Louis Natives selected to USA Mens Olympic Volleyball Teams!
Congratulations to Murphy Troy, a St. Louis Native, for being selected to Represent Team USA in Rio this Summer, as a member of the US Men's Olympic Volleyball Team. Murphy, a 2007 St. Louis University HS Grad, Attended the University of Southern California where he was a 4 year starter from 2008-2011. Read the full announcement here: http://bit.ly/62116MNT
And a hearty Congratulations to Dan Regan, for making the roster to Represent our USA Men's Para-Olympic Team in Rio! Read the full announcement here: http://m.teamusa.org/US-Paralympics/Features/2016/June/30/US-Paralympic-Mens-Sitting-Team-Announcement
Webpoint Registration - Membership access-renew-Apply
The 2015-2016 Registration season opened Sept 1, 2015 - The 2016-2017 Registration season will open Sept 1, 2016.
Gateway Policy Changes for the 2015-16 Season
Policies that impact both Adult and Junior Participants
- E-cigs and Vapor Cigarettes are considered tobacco products. Parents and/or Players must abide by facility or event rules with tobacco restrictions.
Policies specific to the Juniors Program
- Club Directors must become Safesport certified before their Club's tryouts may be sanctioned
- Due to the change in timeframe for U18s Girls Junior National Championships, The 18's bid event will take place the weekend of March 12-13, 2016. All U18's bids will be awarded at this event.
- Seeding Tournaments will not be offered in the 2015/2016 season.
- In the event that a team has less than 6 committed players by 8am the Friday immediately following tryouts, the commitment letter, if signed, will be voided and those players released to find another team.
Policies related to Tournaments
- If a Tournament Director sanctions a tournament and the entry fee reflects the provision of 1st officials, teams may expect that 1st officials will be provided throughout that tournament. If a team is without a paid 1st official, the Tournament Director shall refund the difference between the entry fee and the maximum fee of $100 to each team affected. Refunds will be postmarked within 14 days from the event.
- Refunds to teams/clubs for cancelled tournaments or absent officials will be issued and postmarked within 14 days of cancellation or the event.
2015-2016 Season Official Notes
- New 19.2 rule in 2015-2017 DCR: A motion was made and passed as of 2/25/16 to change the wording of USAV Rule 19.2 to read as: “The Libero(s) must wear a uniform which clearly contrasts with the rest of the team.” A second motion was passed that made the implementation of the new rule immediate. The new rule replaces the "Solid Color Jersey" rule.
- NET CHANGES—review DCR FIVB 11.3.1. Contact with the net by a player between the antennae during the action of playing the ball is a FAULT this season.
- Coaches are no longer required to sign scoresheets. DCR USAV 5.1.3 and 220.127.116.11
- Libero can now be Captain. DCR USAV 5.
- Unused points on the Scoresheet are now zero'd out with a "T-Bar" instead of an "Hourglass" at regional level competitions.
- Goto volleyballreftraining.com and roll over the resources tab to click on "indoor scoring materials" for the 2016 forms. PDF's of the new scoresheets may also be found on our Tourney Forms page, under the publications tab
If you have further questions or need clarification of officiating items, please contact Melissa Pouyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at 314-849-1221.